I wanted to love this game. KB: The Legend is one of my favourite games; I play it a lot, and I had been looking forward to this. What little I've seen of the game was far too linear and very boring; but due to bugs I lack the patience to play any longer.
- the arrow keys were disabled, so I could only use the mouse to play which makes gameplay tedious and many places on the map inaccessible
- the mini-map and main map have different orientations, which is confusing
- battlefields overlap the content at the bottom of the window so you cannot click on all cells of a battlefield
- there is no tutorial, it's sink or swim. Even as someone familiar with the franchise, I felt I was sinking
- the text is written in a near-unreadable font: far too small and so badly rendered it keeps dropping certain letters, so that every piece of text becomes a chore. When you spend as much time figuring out text as you do playing, something needs to be fixed.
- the game crashes every time I switch to another application. (Much of my gaming time is while waiting for other things to happen: I need to check apps and respond to e-mail. This is not negotiable.)
Other than that, the ability to explore which the other three games had to varying degrees is missing from this game: until you reach the island of the Light you can go along corridors only in a fixed order and the interactions and battles you have are strictly scripted; the opportunity to experiment with different armies and equipment has been mostly eliminated in the first part of the game. I started games as all three races and had very similar experiences, which destroyed the conceit of the game.
And then I got to the Island of the Light, which felt as if it was phoned in: you can sail around the outside, or you can stay where you are dumped and fight three very overpowered enemies. There was nothing to explore, no-one to interact with, no side quests or quirky details or minor enemies guarding small treasures: all the things that made the first three parts of the game fun to play.
Add to that the requirement to run Steam, which is a resource hog and causes problems of its own, and I can only throughly recommend that people stay away from this.
Play King's Bounty: The Legend. It's a great game.