6 replies to this topic

#1 green_knight

green_knight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

The latest update to the Macgamestore app means that if you enter a comment on a game’s page or in the forums every time you start to type, the focus shifts to the top of the page, meaning that you can’t actually see what you’re typing. Please fix.

(I’m also not happy about the other changes, many of which seem superfluous and not actually improving things - ‘try for free’ instead of the much more common ‘demo’; forcing the display of sales titles to list when before you could choose between tiles and list, not showing how many pages of items there are but only showing the first and saying ‘more’, moving the deal of the day from its place at the top right of the screen, randomly displaying or not displaying the ‘games for under $5 category) … small, annoying changes to the interface that happen all the time. And since every update is a force update - I cannot decline them - I never know what the app will be like the next time I use it.

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Legendary Gamer

• Store Staff
  • 1418 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

I am typing this in the app, and not seeing what you are talking about. Tried on three different OSX as well. I will get one of the 10.10 guys to try to reproduce the problem if it exists.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Legendary Gamer

• Store Staff
  • 1418 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

Few extra notes (all changes you mentioned are website changes, not app changes):

1) You can still pick from tiles vs list in search results (the home page is static, and never allowed switching between those).
2) You can still pick between the 'more' or 'paging' in search results (the home page has always had 'more' buttons for specials/new releases).
3) Daily deal move was not my choice either... but we are 'trying something different' to bring back the bigger top promos.
4) $5 promotional is random given if there are too many other promotional for those spots. Since the daily deal takes up one of the slots on the home page, it can get bumped out.
5) Free vs Demo, you can thank the illiterate mob who seem to 'not understand what demo means'. Its all marketing, and words change to cater to the masses. This is a business after all ;)

As for mandatory updates to the website:

There will never be multiple versions of the website to choose from, the changes are always forced and can happen at any given moment with or without notice of such. This is the case with almost every website in the industry. Its impractical to keep multiple versions laying around an in service in a web environment.

The App has little to do with the website (which is what is displayed in the app except My Games). The only new changes in the App recently are bug fixes.

Imagine trying to continually maintain 148 different versions of the app and services with client-server operations, because some people decided they didn't want to update. The business model is to keep things current and updated. Sorry.

I can point at Steam, Origin, Uplay, GameAgent, so on, so forth as examples... they all require users to use current versions if they wish to continue using the services. Its just how things are with 'services' these days.

Anyhow, if there are bugs, we like to fix those. So keep letting us know!

Although, you do bring up a point of 'well why CANT i choose between tile or list on the home page specials????'

I'll bring that up, to see if they wish to implement the choice. They are usually against allowing choices, because it requires planning ;)

The move on the home page to make Specials a short-col list style, was to break up the monotony of the home page being a sea of big tiles all floating about. I doubt it will last, and I'm pretty sure we will be reverting that change in a month when we do something else different with the website. Its a never ending process... website development.

#4 green_knight

green_knight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:24 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 February 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

I am typing this in the app, and not seeing what you are talking about. Tried on three different OSX as well. I will get one of the 10.10 guys to try to reproduce the problem if it exists.

Yes, sorry, should have mentioned that - the last update seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for explaining which bits are the website’s fault. I’m still finding it extremely annoying to start up the app and then be forced to sit through the download and reinstall. One solution would be to inform users that there is an update when they start, and do the installation when they quit - that way, the ability to use the app isn’t interrupted. (On Mavericks, it took some hunting for the ‘yes, download and install’ button - I started the app, nothing happened, the app wasn’t in my list of running apps, it didn’t turn up when I cycled through open apps… I knew that it *probably* was another of the pointless ‘yes, upgrade me’ dialogs, but I couldn’t find it.

Users who are less familiar with the app might be even more frustrated - you download it, you open it, it doesn’t seem to do anything: not a good experience.

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Legendary Gamer

• Store Staff
  • 1418 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

Good point with doing an update on quit.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by you download it, you open it, it doesnt seem to do anything?

The update process is meant to be as quick and unobtrusive as we can make it. Maybe it just updating itself and going on its merry way is what is confusing? Would a dialog box after update (once per update, not always) saying "hay this is all the changed stuff" help?

Oh, PS: Build 5050 (the one currently in beta), has a new ability in it to re-register games that have somehow reverted back to demo or time 0 mode.

The process is, when you click the "Play Game" button, you hold down the "option" key when you click. This will cause it to try and fix the registration. Granted this only works if the game was at some point in the past installed via the App, and not 'locally linked through add your own'. Its a first step to combatting the issue of migrations and demo-reversions.

#6 green_knight

green_knight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

The focus problem appeared to have been fixed, but I just tried to post a comment on a game - Assassin’s Creed 2, to warn others that this might not run on their machines either - and the problem returned, so I had to type blind and hope for the best, anbecause every time I pressed a key I am at the top of the page.
So I went back to the forum, and started posting - the focus stayed in the box - and I removed the first character. After that, I have hte same problem in the forum that I had in the game page - any time I press a key, I  look at the top of the page. This is not something I can use.

(Oh, and I *still* cannot use the games installed on my computer without reinstalling. Given that I’ve just spent over a week installing AC2 (and then to find that it will give me the top of the screen or the bottom of it but never both at once), downloading my games is not even an option. Someone was supposed to contact me. So far, they haven’t.)

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Legendary Gamer

• Store Staff
  • 1418 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

* Focus Problem:

Nothing in the code or website with input, forms, character typing, or otherwise has changed between the time you initially had the problem, when the problem went away for you, and when the problem returned for you.

I'm, sorry, there is nothing we can do there, it is something on your machine that is interacting with your key presses. This problem does not exist for anyone around here to reproduce, and no other customers have had the problem (that have spoken up anyhow). We simply do not even know what to suggest to fix on your machine that would be causing this trouble.

* Your Unregistered Games:

As far as your games, we have contacted you by both emails. No responses. Please check spam folders, or filters. Although given how long ago it was, they may have been purged from spam already.

If you have a game that is installed (a "Play" button exists instead of "Install") and it has reverted to demo mode, then hold down the option key when clicking Play. It will attempt to register the game with your account purchase details, without re-downloading it.

If a game only has "Install", then that unfortunately is all that can be done.

* Assassins Creed 2:

You may have better luck searching google for that game and yosemite for others who have mentioned the same issue. If you find nothing, then maybe contact Ubisoft (yeah, funny). If no one else has had the issue, and ubisoft doesnt think its an issue, then it may be something on your machine that is conflicting with the game.

From our end, this is the first we have heard of that type of glitch with that game. If you find no resolve for that, please do contact our store support and explain the issue, and request a refund of that game. If they understand you took all the measures you could to get the game running, but clearly cannot, they will understand.

Currency