2 replies to this topic

#1 green_knight

green_knight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

(This is the second time I post about this issue. The first appeared to have been posted, but does not appear as a post of mine anywhere. I have opened a support request on this, I have not heard anything back from support).

I had a catastrophic hard drive failure and had to reinstall everything from backup.

I have well over >100GB of game files on my computer, most of them from MacGamestore.com. For most games, I get only the ‘buy it’ and ‘quit’ options; if I click ‘buy it’ I am told I already own the game and to download it again.

While I am not living in the land of dialup, I am living in the land of shared broadband with very ungenerous caps. At the current rate it will take me until 2016 to redownload all of the games that I have bought and ALREADY GOT ON MY COMPUTER.

I want the MacGamestore app to allow me to link to games on my computer - NOT to unlink games from my account - but to link to games on my computer so I can actually play them. I am more than happy to re-enter my details into the game, but I am not given that option (the MacGamestore App should be capable of working out that I own the game - it’s perfectly capable of working out I’ve played it for longer than an hour _or that I have bought it_).

This is simply not acceptable, and until this gets fixed, I can not recommend anyone to buy from MacGamestore, nor will I be spending any more money on this site (you’ve had… quite a bit of my spare cash), because I am being punished for having my hard drive fail.

A new hard drive or a new computer can happen to anyone. The keener a gamer you are, the more you are being punished, because you will need to download everything again, for no better reason than that the App has been designed in the least helpful way possible. Not everybody has unlimited broadband available. Heck, even some people who *do* have unlimited broadband deals get into trouble when they download 100GB from the cloud. The rest of us just have to stare at files we own and have on our computers? Sorry, that’s not very encouraging.

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Legendary Gamer

• Store Staff
  • 1425 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

We have never had an issue like this come up before, which is why it doesn't seem the "Find on My Mac" feature will register previously registered games (that suddenly became unregistered due to a migration or restoration from a failed drive).

We will definitely look into this.

#3 green_knight

green_knight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 20 December 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

We have never had an issue like this come up before, which is why it doesn't seem the "Find on My Mac" feature will register previously registered games (that suddenly became unregistered due to a migration or restoration from a failed drive).

We will definitely look into this.

Thank you; it’s good to know that you’re looking into it.

This is failing in several places, really:

- there isn’t a global ‘go find my games’ command
- individual ‘Find on my Mac’ does not work
- ‘link to this’ unlinks a game on the hard drive from the game as registered with MacGamestore; this is really bad functionality and does not appear to be undoable
- previouslly registered games only offer ‘buy this’ and ‘quit’ (not all of them); they should offer ‘buy this’, ‘enter serial number’ and ‘quit'
- ‘buy this’ tells you that you’ve bought it and offers to redownload, it should instead re-register the game if you’ve already bought it.

So that’s quite a number of places where this problem could have been remedied; it seems that I’m caught in a perfect storm :-(

Currency